John Lewis is the U.K.’s largest department store retailer with 31 department stores, 10 John Lewis ‘at home’ shops, a shop at Heathrow Terminal 2, as well as www.johnlewis.com. The Company also has 320 Waitrose stores and online grocery presence.
More importantly though, the elearning initiative for its 1,000 partner employees in the IT department won John Lewis the Screen Stars Video gong at the Skillsoft 2014 Inspire Awards.
You can read the full case study here, but in the meantime, here are 5 things John Lewis loves about its elearning strategy:
- All demographics are empowered to learn, irrespective of age, seniority and experience
- Elearning supports the 70:20:10 model – 70% ‘on the job’ learning, 20% mentoring and coaching and 10% formal training
- It ensures that the IT team keeps pace with the fast-moving, highly competitive and ever-advancing world of technology
- The extensive library of information is available 24/7, including industry-specific books such as Agile, Prince2, ITIL, information security and testing which regularly benefit the team
- Allows Partners to adhere to the Partnership principles of owning and driving their own development
“We provide a framework and guidelines to resources and wider skills and competencies that are foundational to undertaking IT projects and specific tasks,” explains Gill Holehouse, Manager IT Methods, Tools and Training, Partnership Services at John Lewis.
This year’s Inspire Awards are now open for submissions. Visit the website to find out more.
Click here to read the full story. Or to learn more call +44(0)1276 401994.
Kevin Young is General Manager, EMEA at Skillsoft.